"There comes a time in every rightly constructed boy's life when he has a raging desire to go somewhere and dig for hidden treasure." - Mark Twain



Tuesday, July 27, 2010

The Inspiration I Needed

We are just beginning our 7th year of homeschooling. I love teaching the boys at home and I have no doubt that it is the right thing for our family at this time, but I have to admit that I have been a little apprehensive about this school year. Nick is entering the middle school years, so it's time to step up his program. Michael is not reading well on his own yet. That coupled with his short attention span means that I pretty much have to be right there with him for almost all of his school work. What makes me the most nervous is schooling with sweet Baby Luke. He likes to be held all the time, doesn't nap well, and will be crawling and walking before we know it! Will I be able to give each of the boys the time he needs from me?

This past weekend Corey and I attended our first homeschool conference - www.ihmconference.org . I always enjoy shopping for school books and looking at things I might want to use in future years, but listening to some of the speakers was just what I needed. I heard some things I really needed to be reminded of. God would not call us to homeschool without providing a way for us to get it done. Although not every day is perfect, we have always been able to get through our school work. I need to remember to keep a sense of humor. The most important phrase I heard was to "bloom where you are planted". For me this means that if I am being called to homeschool my children, that is where most of my time and energy need to go. It is easy to fall into the trap of volunteering for many things since I am not out of the house at a paying job every day. I need to choose carefully where I spend my time at things like teaching religious education at church or running Vacation Bible School or coaching the kids' soccer teams, especially when it takes too much time away from my home and my family.

Now I really feel like we are ready to kick off our 2010/2011 school year. I've got everyone's books on their places and schedules all written out. I know it will be hard work, but I'm ready. I'm excited about all the things we (because I learn new things along with the kids) will learn this year and to see how it will all work out.

No comments:

Post a Comment