"There comes a time in every rightly constructed boy's life when he has a raging desire to go somewhere and dig for hidden treasure." - Mark Twain



Friday, January 14, 2011

Healthy Habits for Our Household

We enjoyed lots of cookies, candy, treats, chips, dips, and special meals over the holiday season. But now that it is over, it is time to crack down on some healthier eating habits. The baby is now 9 months old, and still have 10-15 pounds of baby weight to lose. Now, when I complain about this some people have told me that I look good. While this is flattering, the bottom line is that my clothes don't fit. I have 3 pairs of sweat pants that are comfortable and a couple of pairs of jeans that I can squeeze into but are tight. I don't want to spend money on new clothes when I have a closet full of them, and I know that with a little will power and hard work I can get rid of the rest of the weight that I gained with precious baby #4. Besides my extra weight, a couple of the boys are carrying a few extra pounds (they love food like their mother), and I don't want them to become part of the childhood obesity epidemic going on in our country. If they ate what they wanted whenever they wanted their weight would easily become a problem and get out of hand.

So what are we doing? We are not eating junk food. I'm not buying cookies or candy or chips or fruit snacks. What candy we had left from Christmas I put away. We are having healthy snacks, and instead of 2 or 3 snacks at night they are eating just 1. I am having the kids make sure that they have a normal serving size instead of as much of a snack as they want. Michael found a Dancing With the Stars workout video, so I bought it for him (about $9) and he and I have been dancing off some pounds. It is fun and a great workout. The boys are also enjoying the Michael Jackson Experience on the Wii. It is a workout as well. They are allowed to have a dish of ice cream on the weekend.

I have started working out again. Before I got pregnant, I was working out pretty hard 5 days a week. It feels great to get back on the treadmill again even though it is harder to find the time with the demanding baby. I'm hoping to add in weights in a few weeks. I got a juicer for Christmas, and now I have carrot-apple juice every morning. It is full of vitamins and quite tasty. I make sure I have lots of vegetables and some fruit every day and always drink plenty of water. I'm hoping that when the weather gets a little warmer we can load the baby in the stroller and go for some family walks. My goal is to be rid of the baby weight by the end of February. I'll report back in then!

No comments:

Post a Comment