"There comes a time in every rightly constructed boy's life when he has a raging desire to go somewhere and dig for hidden treasure." - Mark Twain



Tuesday, May 20, 2014

Easy DIY PVC Clothes Rack

I have been looking for a cheap but durable clothes rack for Michael's dance concert.  He will have 6 or 7 different costumes, so I figured it was time we brought our own rack to hang them on.  The only cheap ones I've come across have had terrible reviews for falling apart, so I decided to try to build one.  Ideally I would like one that rolls, but the boys' dressing room is down a flight of stairs, so I would end up needing to carry it and all the costumes down there anyway.


I used 3/4 inch PVC pipe.  To get the length, I measured across the back of our car so that I could use the top bar as a hanging rack while driving.  It was about 46", so I cut 2 pieces this length (the top and the bottom).  Then I wanted the height at 36", so I cut the 2 side pieces this length.  For the fittings I used elbows and tees.  I used the elbows to attach the top pole to the sides and tees to attach the bottom pole.  Finally to stabilize it, I attached another tee to each bottom corner using short 2" pipes and put a 5" pipe into each side of these tees.

elbow (left) and tee (right) fittings
top corner

bottom corner

top bar hanging in the car

hole with string to hang in the car

To make it usable as a rack that would hang in the car I drilled a hole through each end of the top pole and tied a string through it.  My plan is to carry the costumes in on that top pole and put the rack together once we get down to the dressing room.  I spent less than $10 on the PVC pipe and fittings, and it took me less than 30 minutes to complete.

2 comments: